As I promised in this post, here’s a list of best French songs of 2010. I know it’s really late for that but, since this is a new blog, I guess that could be used as a good excuse.
2010 was incredibly good for French music, we’ve had Zaz and Ben l’Oncle Soul, and in my opinion, the two of them are all a year needs to be considered good.
So, with no further delay, here it is:
1. Soulman – Ben l’Oncle Soul (Ben l’Oncle Soul) – I’m not even commenting on this choice. I love him. I know it’s pop and I know it’s not as deep as a Benjamin Biolay song, but who says that music has to be deep all the time? This song brightens my day, and that’s good enough for me.
2. La Fée – Zaz (Zaz L’album) Undoubtedly, Zaz was the great revelation in 2010. Even though I do prefer Ben and I like Soulman better than any of the Zaz’s songs, I do recognize her value and I even think that maybe this list would be more respectful if I had putted Zaz in first place.
3. Come Home – Yael Naim (She was a boy) – Yaim’s second album didn’t disappoint me, even not having such great review. Come Home is one of those songs that reminds me of early mornings and sunshine.
4. La Banane – Philippe Katerine (Philippe Katerine) – the very controversial Katerine surprised everyone with a weird funny record that divided the critics. I remember reading somewhere a critic asking himself “is he a real genious or is he really stupid?”.
5. Ame Sensible – Lili Ster (La Castafiore) – There’s a very cute video with this song on Youtube, click here to watch.
7. L’idole de Jeunes – Keren Ann and Benjamin Biolay (Thelma, Louise et Chantal BO) – this one goes against all the year’s lists: it’s worse than a version, it’s a version of a version! Still I liked it so much that I just can’t resist.
8. Raconte-moi – Stacey Kent (Raconte-Moi)
9. Le Patriote – Raphaël (Pacific 231) – And I’m not even a fan!
10. Bilan carbone – Benoit Dorémus (2020)